Friday, June 26, 2009

Trying to survive as a vegetarian in Ghana..

HOW TO BE A VEGETARIAN IN GHANA..

During my first visit to Ghana I lost several kilos of weight, and that is very reasonable given the fact that almost all traditional Ghanaian food has either fish, goat, pig or beef in it..

A huge local favourite are the fufu's, banku's and the kenke's.. which are kind of like doughs (sometimes sourdoughs) made from either cassava or corn.. however I also find it hard to ear that aswell, its slimy and not so tasty, if you dont have any stew next to it (and that stew is always made with some small creature inside..)

Anyway, thanks to a new friend - Megan I have now found a great vegetarian restaurant not far from my office and the airport area. It is called something so spectacular as Vegetarian Health Food Center. When I was there I could for the first time in my three visits to Ghana try the groundnut soup, a local dish. Also had some nice tomato stew with mushrooms and tofu! - In Ghana! oh mama!

I asked if there were more vegetarian restaurants and was told about;
Asase Pa, close to the A.M.A - Accra Metropolitan Assembly.

My new veggie spot is located in the back of the EL-WAK (stadium, close to the airport in Burma Camp) at the same road as Survey Department. Call 024-3469541 for orders..

Below, the best vegetarian pizza you can find in Ghana, at the italian restaurant just a block away from Big Millys at Kokrobite!

Emilie

2 comments:

Nina said...

Vilken tur du fick nys om lite matställen så du inte hungrar ihjäl.
Kram

Anna said...

Vad glad jag blir! Vad grymt :) Skönt att du får i dig mat vännen. Stor kram